Friday, November 2, 2012

The Looming End Of My Semester Break

Firstly, I want to greet my grandfather, Lolo Toto in heaven a HAPPY BIRTHDAY! And a Happy All Saints Day to everyone!


*Updates. Updates. Updates

It has been two weeks since I had been freed from the overwhelming but exciting first semester of my college. I shouldn't used the word freed, though. It sounds like I didn't like it much.

I can properly conclude now that, even though I had been into so stressed these past five months, it had been a great experience after my long absence in the social universe.

As I mentioned earlier, it is my semester break and I've been enjoying it, partly excited for the upcoming semester and partly wanting this three-week vacation to be longer. The reason is I had been occupied by university works that I haven't had time to fulfill my desires. That is, to read in a pleasurable pace, to watch anime without anxiety of tomorrow's load-works and to wake up whenever I wanted to.

Eclipse by Stephenie Meyer . P.S. by Helen Schulman . The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins


I started reading Eclipse right after my last day of finals. I was still recovering from a fever back then. I'm glad I had the energy that time to take the test. Hopefully, though, I had put whatever I reviewed on the paper correctly.

Truth be told, this is the first book of Twilight series that I finished. But I read several parts of the first book. So maybe, I was not in the position to judge the series. But still, I will declare my thoughts about it. 

First, I came to hate Bella. No, not hate, just annoyed. I'd been irritated by her ambivalent sentiments. It's mostly about her ignorance about her feelings for Jacob. I mean, how can she not know? Ohh. I don't want to rant about it. All this time I was ignoring Edward, I am on Jacob's side you see, and while reading the book I realize that Edward is okay. I mean, he's admirable at some points in the novel. But, Jacob did shine on this book. My love for him surges more and more brighter! So yes, I'm still on Team Jacob.
. . .

P.S. by Helen Schulman. The story behind the book, hardback book, and I is this: I was going home from school and decided to stroll inside the mall. There's a store that sells few books so I always check it hoping to find a good catch. Luckily, on that day, the novels were right in front of the store and I rummaged through it, seeking for that glimmering book. You know what? I ended up buying two novels, the one by Helen Schulman and a novel by Emma Sweeney. It's really cute. I was mentally squealing as I bought those two. I eagerly wanted to read it as soon as I got home but stopped myself. I should save it for later.

So, end of story. I have the book and read it. Sadly, my admiration for it had sunk low. It's not actually that bad, I came to love it as I reached the end. The prose is great. The setting of the mood, tone and wit of the novel is very skillful. I hope I am as great as she. But the downside of the novel, for me, is the story. There's nothing on it that affects me. Most of the time, I was appalled by the unnecessary stuffs that was in print. The aggravation I felt after the end was ten-fold. 

I don't like the story but the prose is amazing.

***
I really wanted to read The Hunger Games. It has a movie adaptation but I prefer to read it first. I have nothing much to say to it because I was only starting my journey on reading it.

I had only been in almost two chapters but I am already caught by it. The story is great. Sadness and bewilderment are what I felt. I am devastated to think of the situation the characters were in. I am awed for what might happen and I am amazed on how it's adeptly written. The prose is so good that if I would describe it in terms of taste, it would be bittersweet. Sweet for the beautiful prose, because while I was reading it aloud, which I do most of the time, it tasted like a sumptuous meal. It's hard to explain but with my love for words, I can't help but admire them. It's weird and confusing. I'm not really that good at expressing my thoughts in a well-defined sentences using the exact words. That's why I really look up to those people who do. And bitter, for the characters' situation, because whenever I read a book I tend to place myself in the dimension the novel was in, I think everyone of us do, to experience it personally.

It's still on my "currently reading" shelf at Goodreads so I still can't give my full verdict for the book. But I feel it, this is a great one.
***
Here's Gosick for you. It is the anime series that I finished in my break. The rest of my "currently-watching" line-up are D-gray man, A-channel, Kimi to Boku and SNS Final. I will all put them on hold. I wouldn't be able to see them for a while, though.


I'd been sidetracked.
I'm almost on the end of the tunnel which is my semester break. I sense a great stress ahead. Too pessimistic, I know. I should really put an end to that kind of thinking...and might as well, put an end on this long post already. I'm sure you're already fed up with me. 

Thanks for reading!

Related Articles

0 comments:

Post a Comment